Thursday, October 23, 2014

Eisley's First Birthday!

Today is my baby girl's 1st Birthday! How did that get here so quickly?! This year has seriously flown by faster than than my son's first year. I was sad to discover that (for me) it's true what they say about your second baby-  you won't to do all the scrapbooking or writing down dates for all the first milestones like you do with your first. My son has his own scrapbook of his first year, along with countless pages in another scrapbook, several photo albums on Facebook and tangible ones filling our photo album cabinet along with a journal with all his first milestones written down and dated. All my baby girl has is ONE little photo album filled with mostly birth photos and a few from her 6th month. However, she did hi-jack my Instagram account where I was able to jot down a few of her milestones each month when posting her monthly photo. Either way I guess it's just a good thing I at least have some documentation for her. Maybe someday I will get her a scrapbook started.

So, maybe I don't have a lot of tangible documentation of my baby girl's first year, but I have a lot things in my heart that I have been holding in and today they are gushing out. I am pretty sentimental like that (does anyone else get a little emotional on their kids' birthdays??). It's just that this little girl has taught me so much about myself this past year and has revealed parts of me that I didn't know existed. When I had my son 5 1/2 years ago, then "the mom side" of me opened up. I learned a lot about myself and this new side of me back then and throughout these last 5 years. For 4 1/2 years I had been the mom of a little boy and my heart was so full and bursting at the seams. Then this little girl comes into our life and my heart is exploding. No worries, I'm sure there still plenty of room for more bursting and exploding should more children come along.

Among some of the things that my daughter has  taught me is how strong and brave I actually am. Not sure if many of you know my birth story with Elisha, but it was rough. Not ideal at all. Birth trauma and breastfeeding failure. I let fear and the unkown of birth get the best of me and my birth plan went out the window. Anyway, with Eisley I was determined to educate myself more and trust my body more. I had a way healthier pregnancy with her which helped me lose all the pregnancy weight and then some after having her (YAY!). I also learned proper body mechanics so she would be born in the proper position which would reduce risk of birth trauma or needing a c-section. I learned about red raspberry leaf tea and it's benefits during pregnancy and labor/delivery (if you don't know about this stuff and are expecting, drop everything now and go look it up and get some of this tea!!). Her birth was perfect. I was brave and strong. I had the delivery I wanted with no pain meds or interventions. In Eisley's birth I discovered a new strength I didn't know I possessed. This strength and bravery has carried over into other areas of my life. I have stepped out of my comfort zone quite a bit and joined leadership positions in my church and MOPS and confronted difficult situations as well. I have learned that the result of strength and bravery is peace. When you face things that scare you with God's strength you will experience God's peace.

So far we have had a successful year of breastfeeding -which also taught me how frugal I can be. Between breastfeeding and cloth diapering (and cloth wipes) we saved SO MUCH money! We only buy clothes on sale or at thrift stores and have been blessed by one of Matt's co-workers with hand-me-downs! Plus, we discovered Baby Led Weaning, so no baby food for us! At 6 months she just started eating whatever we were eating (along with nursing).



I was afraid how I was going to balance raising  2 children. I had been the mama of one boy for 4 1/2 years, I didn't know any other way. I have learned that I am a master multitask-er! Not only do I raise 2 kids now along with being a wife, I homeschool, Direct AWANA, I'm on a MOPS Steering team and keeper of the home. I am tired most of the time, but I get stuff done! But along with being a multitask-er and juggling all these things I've also become more flexible while maintaining a sense of consistency and structure (if that makes sense).

Thank you Eisley for all that you have taught your mama in just your first year! I look forward to learning more from each other in the years to come! Happy 1st Birthday, Pumpkin! I love you!
 Eisely at 1 year:
  • Has two teeth on the bottom and two top ones currently coming in
  • Started taking steps on Oct. 21
  • Has the cutest pig tails around
  • Favorite food: all of it
  • Favorite toy: She likes blocks and occasionally I see her playing with her baby dolls
  • Favorite song: I'm a Little Teapot or You are My Sunshine
  • Likes playing with big brother
  • Thinks daddy is super funny
  • Loves to dance to music
  • Likes having books read to her
  • Likes Mama's hugs and snuggles



No comments:

Post a Comment