Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Seven days of Creation (Part 1)

This week I have been teaching Elisha about Creation. We have focused on the first 5 days so far this week. During our morning walks there have been lots of  talking about all the stuff we see that God has  made. In the car there as has been a few little songs and fingerplays that teach us about God's creation (for some reason he responds better to learning some songs in the car).


ABC Jesus Loves Me curriculum has offered a lot of different helpful resources and a great guideline for making lesson plans. Here are some activities we were able to do courtesy of ABC Jesus Loves Me:

These are color sheets explaining what was made on those days (ie. the 2nd day, the 3rd day).

These are just a few objectives for the week.



Our memory verse for this week. As the weeks go on and we get new verses, we just add them to the binder ring.
The days of creation, each card has a number up to 7, and on each number is an illustration of what was created on that day.

A story wheel that shows pictures chronologically of what God created as you turn the wheel. 

I happen to have a Meliss and Doug Complete-The-Picture Pad that had this scene in it and I instructed Elisha to draw fishes in the water and birds in they sky (its kind of hard to see what he drew).

Here are some other things we worked on:
Another Melissa and Doug page: drawing sea animals.
Doing our online Calendar activity.
Elisha helped in kitchen to make s'more cookies.
Elisha coloring a "My Family" picture.

Elisha was so proud of himself for making the letter, "H" with his snack.

Before I end this post I just have to share that some days I don't feel like I'm making any difference at all, and then BAM!--Elisha shows me that he IS getting it. For instance I thought Elisha's least favorite activity is singing/fingerplays. Then 1) I realized that it works better to go over those things while on a car ride and 2) sometimes I hear him singing part of the songs when he doesn't think I'm paying attention. One of our songs this week was Genesis 1:1 and I heard him singing "Genesis 1:1 " over and over again while doing free play earlier this afternoon. Also I let him play on his dry erase board almost every afternoon and I've discovered that one of his favorite things to do is practice some letters:
It's all these moments that just confirm that I'm doing the right thing, helps me to discover his learning styles and it pushes me to keep doing more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment